Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My triumphant return....

Because I just don't have ENOUGH projects going on at one time, I decided to cast on for another do a KAL with my roommate. It really didn't take any time to figure out what we wanted to do. It had to be something small, that we could both make pretty quickly. And the size had to be the same because she's a wee thing and I'm, well, not. Since we live in Alabama and knitted hats are just not going to come out of the closet for another 6 months (it really won't be cold enough until sometime in December), we settled on socks.

I wanted the project to be something special. If I'm going to put all this time into something I'm just going to wear on my feet, I wanted it to be something I'm going to enjoy. Apparently we had both been coveting the Bacchus pattern in the Fall 2008 Interweave. And I just happened to have the perfect Shibui sock in Wasabi. With the vines and bobbles in the pattern I figured the color would work wonderfully. And I wasn't disappointed.

I'm moving along a little slower than my roomie, but I've been busy updating my new iPod (Sad story... my old one disappeared in the Wal-Mart parking lot. I was lost without it.) and house-sitting for my mom while she's at the beach. I have turned the heel and am working on the first set of bobbles past that. I elected to leave off the bobbles on the foot simply because I didn't want them to interfere with whatever shoes I might decide to wear. I think it lookes great without them.

The pattern has been really easy so far and I'm taking the opportunity to try cabling without a needle. It really isn't difficult. But I wouldn't recommend it with a yarn that doesn't stick to itself rather well. That's what keeps the stitches from dropping. The heel was a little tricky and I made sure to pull my first on each row stitch tight as I went back and forth turning the heel. This helped prevent any loese areas. If you wind up with loose areas, you can use some leftover yarn to whipstitch that shut, no problem.

I'm hoping to head home from work a little early tonight and get a little more work done on this sock. But before I go, let me leave you with a little WIP photo....

1 comment:

fey said...

it looks great with no bobbles on the foot! love that yarn! xoxo fey